February 12, 2009

The Maltese Adventure: God Knows What Day It Is

What a hell of a few days since I last blogged. Hell is quite an appropriate word.

Last time I reported I was sick. it's now Thursday and I'm still not fully fit. I haven't eaten anything solid for two days and I single-handedly got through two rolls of toilet paper in one night last night. I really have lost track of days too. I haven't slept for more than 1 hour at a time in the past 72.

I tried breakfast this morning, thinking the stomach cramps were hunger pains. One small bowl of cornflakes and a tiny glass of pineapple juice and I was back to my room in agony.

But illness aside, what else has been happening in the land of the Maltesers? Well yesterday, some ass-hole decided to get into my car and remove my mobile phone for their own use. Now I will be without a means of getting in touch with people, other than through the office, for about 10 days. That's assuming I can find a cheap (but decent) handset online in the meantime. When I contacted O2 to ask them to cancel the SIM, they informed me the 12 quid credit I had left on the phone had already gone. less than an hour to drain 12 pounds of phone credit. I'm not allowed to blame the Maltese. If you mention the story to a local, the first thing they say is: "It wouldn't have been a local. Must have been a black."

Losing the phone is a HUGE inconvenience, not only because I had so many phone numbers in it, but it was my only thing keeping me going during the long, boring nights, chatting to friends by text. Granted, it was costing me a fortune in credit, but now I can only lie awake feeling my stomach churn.

I met Sir Alex Ferguson! He was over in Malta for a few days with Giggs, Scholes, Neville and a few older players. I met Sir Alex in a Scottish themed bar in St Julians and would have had the chance to meet all the others if I'd gone back that evening. (That was the evening my illness was at it's worse. Apparently Giggs does a lot of Kareoke) Fergie was more interested in finding out the result of the 1.30 race at Plumpton, but he was friendly and chatted openly. I did manage to sneak a photo of Sir Alex, and Paddy Crerand (for you older readers)....

....the photo is on my phone camera.

No comments: