February 26, 2009

Fake Aroma

A funny, aromatic, thing happened to me yesterday while I was walking through W.H.Smiths.

I had popped in to the store to see what type of folders they sold, for when I print off my Magnificent Octopus. As I stood at the appropriate shelf, browsing the various types of wallets and binders, a smell wafted into my nose.

Nothing unusual I suppose, but this aroma was so distinctive. It instantly reminded me of a close friend, so much so that I instinctively turned round to say hello and hug her. Of course, there was no one there. The smell was still lingering though, perhaps she had just walked behind me, so I went in search of the source.

But then I stopped. The chances this particular person was in England was slender enough, never mind being in Southampton. Even less likely would be the chance she walked down the same aisle of W.H.Smiths as me - I just couldn't get the sensation out of my head.

If you'd asked me to describe the person, the last thing I would have said is that she had a distinctive aroma. (I'll take this opportunity to point out it wasn't an unpleasant smell!) I also can't fully describe what the smell is. It's not a perfume or eau de toilette smell, it's not a food smell, it's not even a soap or make-up smell. Perhaps it's a combination of a few things.

They say we all have a double, (apparently mine is Peter Griffin from Family Guy) but it would seem we all have an aroma doppelganger too....

...For the record the smell only lasted a few seconds, but the lasting impression it left on me is still there now.

No comments: