September 09, 2008

The Lost Treasure of the Golden Fish Part III


"The other stuff"

I suppose I should explain the title of these blogs. It's a long and silly story, and only really makes sense to Sarah and me, but I'll give it a go.

On the first night we arrived I went to get a menu from the local Chinese take-away. Despite it's small size Wroxham does have a chinese, an indian, a kebab place, a traditional chippy, a tea-room and a pizza restaurant. The Chinese was called The Golden Fish...

I said I would phone up and order then go across the bridge to collect it. Sarah agreed and asked me to pass her the menu... well actually she said:

"Can you pass me the map please"

A simple slip of the tongue, but from that moment on, everything we did for the whole week involved quests to find lost booty, treasure maps, adventures on the high seas, golden fish, (which later became golden monkeys) - you name it, we somehow related it back to pirates. The crazy golf course was pirate themed, the Sea-Life Centre had a Pirates Cove, a boat that cut us up on the water was flying a jolly-rodger flag and so on. It made us both laugh constantly all week, although I'm sure it's one of those moments where you had to be there.

We played a lot of Scrabble. I forgot how fun that game can be, and frustrating too. I watched a lot of late night telly. Not much else to do when you're on a camp bed in the lounge and you're too scared to sleep in case it collapses.

I have to admit there were stressful moments. Caoimhe having a cold put a strain on both of us, and I didn't help out as much as I could of. Not out of selfishness, I just didn't want to get close to her. It was hard seeing her for so long every day, knowing it would be my last ever week with her. One morning I did take her across the bridge to feed the ducks, geese and swans. (hence the picture) Not sure she was completely interested though - she slept through the whole experience!
The whole situation was difficult for us both, and it wasn't helped by us both becoming ill too. We got through it though, and I will look back with fond memories, not sad ones. I'll be back there soon......

....Still got the lost treasure of the Golden Fish to track down :o)

No comments: