October 15, 2009

Cookie Junior: A Star is Born


Finally, after literally months of waiting (and an extra 10 days for good measure) Jackie has finally given birth to little Emily.

Weight: 7lb 10oz (That's the exact same weight as the largest Chub fish ever caught in the River Ribble. Well done to Martin James who landed the whopper back in 2005)

Labour time: 90 minutes (About the same running time as an episode of Midsomer Murders if you cut out the advert breaks)

Time of birth: 16:05 (the last time a full solar eclipse was visible on earth was back in Jan 2009 visible from several areas in Asia. The eclipse began at 4.05pm on that day).

Ok, I jest. I'm over the moon for her and Mark. The brief description I have is she's got her daddy's face but her mummy's hair, which means we have another red-head on the planet!

I was debating for a long time what I could get her as a present. Anyone who knows me would guess I would plump for a teddy bear, and of course, they'd be right - but that's the kind of thing I'd want to take with me when I visit. The present now, to celebrate the birth, would have to be ordered online, and delivered, so giving it a personal touch would be hard.

...and then it came to me.

On the 12th October 2009 a new star was born on the planet. On the same day, a star in the constellation of Andromeda, was offically renamed 'Emily Vardy'. It's something that will always be there. No matter where she is, little Emily can look up and know that one of those tiny specks of light is there just for her.

If you're wondering why I chose Andromeda, there were two reasons. (a) it's visible with the naked eye if you're in the Northern Hemisphere nearly all the year round and (b) Andromeda means 'princess' so I thought it was quite appropriate.

Welcome to the world Emily, I can't wait to meet you in December.
x x x

No comments: