September 09, 2009

On the Turn

Not sure if it's a permenant thing, or just a temporary glitch, but the weather has definitely turned.

Sunday night I think I first noticed it. I was woken from my light slumber by a heavy bang. It sounded like an explosion coming from the spare room, but as I'm not currently storing any heavy explosives or pyrotechics, it couldn't have been that. I got out of bed and padded down the small hall. First thing I noticed was the plastic cover for the fuse box was lying on the tiles surface. Next thing I notice was the small balcony door in the guest bedroom was closed, despite the fact I remember leaving it open to allow air to circulate through the flat. Looks like there was a strong wind brewing outside (the force of the door slamming closed had made the fusebox lid jump off too).

I battened down the hatches. Brought in the washing I had left drying on the sun terrace, closed and locked the balcony doors and returned to bed. I lay there watching and listening to the howling wind getting stronger and stronger. I then watched in awe as a succession of semi-naked women appeared on the various balconies in the apartments opposite to retrieve their own washing. (one rather attractive lady was topless and probably assumed no one could see her!)

Next morning there wasn't a breath of wind in the air. Normality was restored. high temperatures again, it was as though nothing had happened.

Later the next night I was woken again. This time by the gentle patter of raindrops on the window. Not a major shower, but enough to wash away the dust that was starting to collect on the streets. Locals tell me it's not the end of the summer, just a passing weather front....

...we shall see.

p.s. Saw my first cockroach today. Thankfully not in the apartment, but out of the street. It shot out from between two rubbish bags that were left there to be collected. to me it was HUGE, but I suppose they can be bigger. In retrospect it was probably a very beautiful creature - it seemed to be two-toned, with shiny legs...

...but I'll die a happy man if I never see one again for the rest of my time here.

No comments: