August 28, 2009

Got More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Three in a day? You don't deserve me, you really don't!

Forgot to tell you about my first venture into Maltese cuisine last night. I had been sat outside a bar, enjoying the passing sights when I decided to venture to the venue next door and have a meal. I had eaten there once before on my last visit, but didn't get any further than the pizza menu. This time I decided to try something I'd never tasted before....

...I plumped for Maltese Style rabbit.

A side note here. Rabbit is the national dish of Malta. I asked someone about it the first time I came over and it's simply for economic reasons. The weather and lack of space makes most cattle unfarmable but to breed rabbits for food, all you need is a hutch. Anyone with a small back yard can do it, and make a reasonable income. I've even seen adverts asking if you have a space that can be rented for the sole purpose of putting in a hutch.

..but they failed to mention that rabbit is not the most exciting of meats. Granted, there was nothing wrong with it, it flaked nicely off the bone, not too chewy, certainly not dry, but it was just another meat. I can't be the only one to think this, and that is why someone had the bright idea to make it more interesting....

Maltese Style rabbit was invented. The basis for the recipe is do whatever you can to disguise the meat. According to the menu it's cooked in a white wine sauce, then coated liberally with garlic and other powerfully flavoured herbs. Every bite you take you get a mouthful of the herb crust. Realy not unpleasent, but completely takes away any sense of what the meat tastes like, and I think that's the plan they had in mind all along. It was a very nice meal nontheless, and if it was offered to me again I wouldn't turn my nose up at it. It was interesting to see what a rabbit's carcass looks like too when I'd finished!....

....but if it's my own choice again next time, I think it'll be back to the pizza menu :)

No comments: