June 29, 2009

Pontefract - and not a Liquorice Sweet in Sight


This weekend hasn't been a total disaster. Ok, the cat has given me two sleepless nights so far, and using Wii Fit has caused me to pull every single one of the muscles in my stomach, but today I have had a lovely day in Yorkshire with my second cousin.

It was sort of a spontaneous thing really. I debated the idea of going racing ot Uttoxeter on Sunday, but it's a track I know I've already been to, and going racing can be an expensive day out. Instead, I decided to save myself for today, and travel to Pontefract. I really wasn't sure if I had been there before, it certainly didn't ring any bells, but even if I had it was an easy drive to Leeds and an easy racecourse to find.

On the off chance I got in touch with my second cousin, Jess, to see if she was free. I knew she had never been horse racing before, and taking someone with you is always more fun than travelling alone. She was very keen, and just before lunch we set off on the one hour drive over The Pennines to West Yorkshire. One thing I should have left behind was the sat-nav. I think the only phrase she used was 'in 300 yards keep right. Keep right. At the next junction keep right. Keep right." I was very close to coming off the motorway early just so I could hear her say something different!

We arrived safely at the track just minutes before they opened the gates. From then on it was a perfect day. The sun shone (I burnt to a crisp. That's three race meetings in a row now I've been toasted). Sadly I couldn't pick a winner all day, but Jess managed to prove the old saying of 'beginner's luck', by being paid out three times. Biggest win for her was Hel's Angel (yes that is how it was spelt) in the second race. Winner at 13/2.

The drive home wasn't as pleasant. We left one race early (well it was an 8 race meeting which is very rare, and I wanted to see if I could get ahead of the traffic.) We got to the motorway ahead of the commuters, but a problem at one of the junctions ahead meant we crawled for over 15 miles. Not enough to dampen the day though, I even managed to tell Jess all about Myra Hindley as we crossed Sandleworth Moor.

I head back to Southampton tomorrow night. It certainly hasn't been the weekend I planned, and I can't say I'm still not disappointed that I haven't been able to spend time with Tara....

...but today helped.

p.s. As you enter Pontefract the sign at the side of the road reads:

Welcome to Pontefract, the home of Haribo.
Did you know that?
p.p.s. It's my Mum's birthday today, so happy birthday Mum. She's in Majorca at the mo, so this saves me buying a card :D

No comments: