October 13, 2008

TV Critic

I'm not one for writing reviews of Television programmes. For me, most of what is on 'the box' is mindless escapeism and you either love it or hate it. Just thought though I'd pass a small comment about two things I watched last night.

First, the light-hearted side. Peter Kay's spoof of the X-Factor had me in stitches. Not sure if I was laughing because it was genuinely funny, or just for the fact that someone has finally mocked this style of show so accurately. It was helped by some well used cameos of famous celebrities too, Rick Astley's duet with the disabled girls was inspired. I was crying at stages with laughter, it was the perfect remedy for the blues.

The second thing I watched was much deeper. Alistair Campbell, Tony Blair's famous 'spin' doctor opening up about his mental breakdowns. I'm not a fan of his, in fact when he was in the limelight I physically loathed him, but his honesty and manner has to be commended. Made me think a lot about myself. Maybe even I realised my depression might not be as easy to overcome as I thought. So many of his stories and anecdotes had similarities to incidents in my own life, it was frightening. His addiction to alcohol was shown to be a symptom of his mental illness, not the cause.

At one point he spoke of how his wife had forced him to consult a GP. This struck home the most. I haven't registered with a GP here in Southampton, I don't want to. In my head I feel that other people's problems are far more important than mine, a doctor shouldn't have to waste time dealing with me. It took me nearly 10 years of living in the Isle of Man to register when I was there, even then it was only because of my foot.

After watching the programme, I had to take a minute to compose myself. If you didn't catch it, I'm sure it'll be repeated (think it was on BBC3), or if not it'll be on the BBC iplayer online. I wouldn't say I 'highly recommend' it, that would seem inappropriate, but it was certainly a well made, and honest documentary. It's given me a slight respect for Campbell...

...and a great respect for anyone suffering from clinical depression.

No comments: