September 15, 2008

Shine on You Crazy Diamond.


All my dreams of a full Pink Floyd reunion tour have come to an end.

After their successful reunion for the Live 8 concert, I held out a slim chance that the 4 original members of Pink Floyd would make a full reunion, and perform a full gig together. Led Zeppelin had done it (albeit with a replacement drummer), but now my dream has come to an end. Richard Wright, Floyd's keyboard player has passed away.

I first became interested in Pink Floyd ages about 14 or 15. A few years later, as I entered sixth form, I became a real fan. My physics teacher even lending me several of their albums on vinyl. Since them I have remained a huge follower, and remain so, even after they decided to disband.

Possibly viewed as 'the quiet one', Wright was there from the start. His keyboard playing is second to none, and helped define the 'sound' of Floyd through all their different incarnations.

R.I.P. Richard. You are a great loss to the music world.

...Shine On.

No comments: