July 17, 2008

IOW vs IOM Part II

Well, not really a comparison between the islands this time, just an entry about my second adventure to the Isle of Wight.

On this occasion it was a spontaneous day visit on the fast-craft. I was really impressed with the efficiency of the loading and unloading of the boat. Considering the car ferry takes an hour for the trip over, with 30 minutes 'turn around time', the fast-craft is 23 minutes and only needs another 5 before it sets off again on the return leg. Granted it's only for foot passengers, and they can also get away without mooring it properly, but still... I was impressed.

The other major benefit of this vessle is that it docks in West Cowes. If you remember back to my previous Isle of Wight entry, the car ferry brings you into East Cowes - a proverbial dump. West Cowes, in stark contrast, is very beautiful. We just about had nice weather (a little chilly and overcast) but nothing to dampen our spirits.

After an energy boosting snack in a cafe, and a walk along the marina, we caught the bus to Newport, and then onto Ryde. Why has Ryde got so many charity shops? It was a little too windy for bucket and spades on the beach - and besides, I don't think Caoimhe's old enough to appreciate my sand sculptors just yet. After a constitutional drink, and a bit of window shopping we headed back to Newport.

Newport was surprisingly small. I somehow expected something a little 'bigger' considering it's the capital. After a look around the shops it was back to Cowes for the return ferry - home in time for tea. All in all a terrific day and I'm glad I decided to give the island a second chance.

....Eegon's cafe in West Cowes gets a big thumbs up for their bacon and egg butties.

No comments: