May 01, 2008

My Dad and the Serial Killer

My parents being over last week reminded me of a story I often tell about my Dad, from when he was younger. Always helps the conversation if it appears to be flagging.

When I was about to start University I asked my Dad one of those searching, probing questions that sons often ask their fathers:

"So Dad, what did you do for fun when you were my age?"

Well, the basic answer was along the lines of: "We'd get the bus to Belle Vue, watch the speedway, go to the circus there, and then on to the dance halls. Dance the night away before making sure we got the last bus home." - I should point out at this point that I think the 'circus' was more like a fairground, and the last bus home was essential. People came from all over the North West, but there was no such thing as mini-cabs in the mid-60's. My Dad was born in '42 so I assume this is the era we are talking about.

All pretty exciting stuff I'm sure you'll agree. Well the follow up question was obvious:

"So Dad, what was your chat-up technique like then?"

"Dead simple", came the reply. "Just ask them what bus they're on. If they weren't on your route, then you just moved on to the next girl. No point chatting up a girl if you can't see her home is there?"

A few years ago, one of the evilest women of the 20th Century, in fact of all time, died. Myra Hindley. (Bear with me here, this is relevant). At the time, think it was 2002, there were several documentaries about the life, crimes and death of her on television. One such documentary had the following information:

"Myra, born in 1942, would often spend her lesuire time in the 60's hanging around the circus and dance halls of Belle Vue in Greater Manchester"

Well! Wasn't that a turn up! Here was a woman, born just 4 months after my father, who spent her free time in exactly the same way as he did. My own parent could well have been drinking, dancing and even smooching with the queen of crime. Naturally I confronted him with the facts.

After a short pause of contemplation he said, in a calm and calculated voice:

"Doubt it. She was on the 19 to Cheadle, and I had to catch the 42 to Stockport."

..How different all our lives could of been if it hadn't been for the lack of public transport after hours.

No comments: